Membership Benefits & Fees
Members will have unlimited access to free one-week loans of all of Kitchen Share's tools. Members will also have access to skill-shares and workshops, whether free or for a small fee to cover materials. There is a one-time membership donation of $10 - $30, sliding scale, but no one is turned away for lack of funds. Your membership will never expire.
Borrowing Rules and Disclaimer
- Only residents of Southeast Portland living within the service area of Southeast Uplift(map) and who are over the age of 18 years are eligible to borrow items from Kitchen Share Southeast (KSSE).
- Borrowers must register with KSSE prior to borrowing items. Registration includes verification of the borrower’s identity and home address. We will need to see a valid government-issued photo ID, and if the address on the ID is not current, we will need a utility bill, mortgage statement, rental agreement, or similar displaying a qualifying address. Additionally, the borrower must sign a form of WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION to be provided by the library.
- Borrowers are asked to make a one-time membership donation. The sliding scale suggested donation (approximately $10-$30 will be posted in the Library. However, no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
- By taking possession of any item, the borrower is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
- Only the borrower is authorized to use KSSE items. The borrower shall not permit the use of items checked out to them by any other person, unless by the express permission of KSSE
- KSSE tools are intended for home and personal use; they are not intended to be used for commercial or business purposes.
- We at KSSE are your neighbors, and to be clear, we are not in any way experts on the items we lend. This means we are not able to assess either the internal or the external condition of an item, and by lending an item to you, we are in no way claiming that the item is safe for you to use. By signing our WAIVER agreement, you are agreeing that neither we, nor our assigns or successors, can be held responsible for any injuries, deaths, property damage, or any other consequences of use, or the transport, of items borrowed.
- The borrower agrees that KSSE is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed item.
- The borrower agrees that if any borrowed item is or becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the borrower will immediately discontinue use of the item and notify KSSE of the issue on return.
- All borrowed items are to be returned before the return deadline (one hour before closing, one week after borrowing, unless otherwise posted in the catalog). Items may only be returned to KSSE during hours of operation. Late fines, posted in the Library, may be levied for each item kept past the loan period.
- Please remember that others may be waiting for the tools you have borrowed, and try to return borrowed tools as soon as you can after opening.
- To request a loan renewal, you must come into the Library with the tool before the return deadline defined above and speak with a KSSE volunteer. Permission may be granted; however, the Library may need to refuse or limit renewals based on demand for those tools.
- Most items are loaned on a first come, first served basis, without the ability to reserve in advance. Certain high demand or seasonal items may be available for advance reservation, as indicated in the catalog.
- Borrower understands and accepts that in an effort to maximize availability of items to all Members, KSSE may send emails as a reminder when borrowed tools’ return dates are approaching.
- Items are to be returned to the library in the same condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All items must be returned clean, in the same condition you would expect them to be loaned to you. Note that items are not cleaned or sanitized by the library between uses, and it is recommended that you wash all items prior to using them.
- The borrower agrees to a) pay for the loss or damage to any item, b) accept KSSE staff’s assessment of condition of returned items, and c) accept KSSE staff’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal replacement cost of the item plus handling and processing fees.
- When items are not returned by the designated due date, KSSE will issue an overdue notice by phone call, email or letter. If the items are not returned after the notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action. KSSE may replace severely delinquent items, holding borrower responsible for full replacement cost plus applicable handling and processing fees. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items.
- KSSE retains the right to refuse to loan any item to any person for any reason whatsoever.
Renewing From Home
If you want to avoid an extra trip to the library to renew an item that you have checked out, you can email FrontDesk@KitchenShare.org to request a renewal. Please put RENEWAL in the subject line. You can expect a response around the time that the library opens, or almost immediately if you email during library hours. Your renewal is not complete until you receive a response approving the renewal. The library volunteer may ask you to return the item so that someone else may use it.
Like returns, renewal requests must be made at least one hour before the library closes, or a late fee will be incurred.
Requesting a reservation from home.
To reserve a particular item, look up item on the Tool List at KitchenShare.org's tool inventory. with full name of item. Email FrontDesk@KitchenShare.org explaining that you would like to pick up the item on a particular date during the library’s open hours. Be sure to include your full name in the email and include RESERVATION in the subject line.
You can expect to receive an email around the time the library opens telling you whether you were the first one to reserve the item for that week and whether it is in the library already.
If the item is in the library when it opens, you will have until one hour before closing time to pick it up (between 5pm and 7pm). If you do not pick it up by 7pm, your reservation will be canceled and someone else may check it out.
If the item is not in the library yet, but is due back that day, you will be emailed as soon as it is returned and it will be reserved for you.
If you cannot pick up a reserved item that is waiting for you, you must email the Front Desk as soon as possible. Reserving an item and not picking it up more than one time will result in you being prohibited from reserving items in the future.